Request for Time off During Term Time
APPLICATION BY PARENT/CARER FOR CHILD’S
LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL DURING TERM TIME
Department for Education Guidance
Should you be thinking of booking a holiday during term time, we ask that you consider the following points contained in the Department of Education guidelines:
- Time off school for family holidays is not a right. Schools may only grant leave of absence in exceptional circumstances.
- Permission must be sought in advance.
- If special leave is granted, the Headteacher will determine the number of school days a child can be away from school.
- If the application is refused and you still take your child out of school, the absence will be treated as unauthorised and could result in you receiving a penalty notice.
- Absence from school during term time will not be authorised for the following reasons and will be treated as unauthorised:
- availability of cheap holidays
- availability of desired accommodation
- day trips
- overlap with the beginning or end of term
- poor weather experienced in the school holiday period